Thursday 2 August 2007

the hostage crisis

A couple people have asked me what it's like to be in Korea right now during the hostage crisis.

Basically, there's a lot of America-bashing going on(I must have passed two, possibly three, different anti-American protests yesterday walking from Gwanghwamun subway station to the Japanese embassy, a path that takes you right by the U.S. Embassy), and if you're interested, check out Metropolitician's post on "The South Korean Stockholm Syndrome."

I've hit some roadblocks in my research, including the always frustrating NGO-academia divide: "We're too busy; we don't have time help students." Having worked for three different NGOs(including one in Korea) for the past three summers, I understand where they're coming from, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating. So, no updates on that front.

My Mom's coming into Seoul tonight for the first time in six years(and to be my translator)!

No comments: